Just how our body depends on vitamins and minerals to maintain good health our mouth needs certain nutrients as well.
Here are a few vitamins and minerals that help support good oral health:
- Calcium – Reduced levels of Calcium can contribute to gum disease and tooth decay.
- Vitamin D – Vitamin D supports the absorption of Calcium. Low levels of Vitamin D can lead to “burning mouth” syndrome which is a burning sensation in the mouth that may be accompanied by dry mouth and a metallic taste.
- Iron – Low iron can cause an inflamed tongue and mouth sores.
- Vitamin B3 – Also known as Niacin, this is helps avoid bad breath.
- Vitamin C – Helps keep your gum tissue healthy and decreases bleeding tissue.
Make sure you eat a balanced diet and possibly take supplemental vitamins if you find you are lacking any of these essential nutrients.