If you have retainers, a night guard or dentures, you should be keeping them clean and fresh to minimize bacterial growth on your appliances, and to keep them in good condition.
For retainers and night guards:
- Always rinse and brush the retainer(s) or night guard thoroughly after each time you take them out.
- You can use a little bit of low abrasive toothpaste to help clean it.
- Using a smaller brush or child’s size brush works well to clean grooves and tiny nooks.
- For deeper cleaning, use a retainer cleaner system which can be purchased at a store or online.
- If you’re going to store the appliance after usage, shake off as much water off the retainer as possible after you’ve cleaned it, and then let it air-dry for a while, preferably till it is dry or mostly dry.
- DO NOT put it away wet, in a closed storage case. This promotes the growth of microorganisms on your appliance as well as in the case.
- Keep the storage case clean by wiping down the interior with rubbing alcohol occasionally, and make sure it’s clean and dry before putting your appliance in it.
- Bring in your appliance with you to your next dental cleaning appointment so that we can clean it in our ultrasonic bath using tartar and stain removing cleaner.
- Always rinse and brush your dentures every day to remove food debris and to clean away the biofilm and plaque that has adhered to the surfaces.
- Your toothbrush and even a small kitchen scrubby brush are great tools to use for cleaning.
- Clean the denture carefully and meticulously all over including clasps where plaque can form easily.
- Denture cleaning systems available at the store may also be used. Follow the directions on the package.
- Be sure to thoroughly rinse the denture, and examine it for cleanliness before wearing it.
- For storage, be sure to dry it using a soft tissue or cloth, or let it air dry.
- DO NOT store it wet in a closed storage case as this can promote the growth of microorganisms on the denture and also in the case.
- Keep the storage case clean by wiping down the interior with rubbing alcohol occasionally, and be sure it is clean and dry before storing your appliance in it.
- At your dental cleaning appointment, we will clean the dentures in our ultrasonic bath using tartar and stain removing cleaner.
Finally, keep your appliances stored away such that curious pets and children cannot get to them, and make sure you always know where they are so they don’t get thrown away or accidentally crushed.