There are a number of reasons that could be contributing to your gum recession.
- brushing aggressively
- using tobacco products
- grinding and clenching
- periodontal disease
How can you prevent gum recession?
Keeping a healthy mouth is easier than you think.
- start by visiting the dentist at least twice a year or the recommended time frequency for you. A dental professional will be able to monitor any changes of gum recession.
- using an electric toothbrush prevents you from brushing aggressively. Instead of scrubbing yourself, the electric will do all the work for you at a standard speed.
- flossing daily will exercise your gums and keep your gums tight around the tooth.
- use a tongue scraper to minimize the bacteria growing on your tongue.
- if you clench and/or grind, it is important to protect your teeth with a guard. Your dental office is able to make you a custom fit guard.